Sunday, December 27, 2009

Shopping for New Year's Eve

I've decided this year to do away with the expensive prix fixed menus on New Year's Eve and make it myself. While I am planning on attending a party later in the evening (one that starts closer to the midnight hour), I still want to have a decent meal. As much as I like to dine out, I love to cook. And even more than cooking, I love to plan the menu and shop for the meal.

Around this area, the best place to go grocery shopping is Russo's in Watertown, MA. http://www.russos.com/index.html Some friends of mine introduced me to their amazingly fresh yet inexpensive produce, their six shelves of olives, their pastries and the freshest herbs in the area. Hidden underneath their produce, tucked away on barely seen shelves, are imported jams, sauces, pastas, etc. Who knew the artichokes are stored under the green grapes? It would probably take at least an hour to navigate this small store to seek out all of their treasures.

Today, I discovered their deli counter with authentic Italian meats and cheeses. My mother insisted I try their Mortadella with Pistachios. I wasn't so sure, but after one bite I was hooked. A few slices is well worth the indulgence.

Their service is also to be noted. A few months back, I was searching for truffle salt to bring to as a hostess gift (I put it on popcorn). I called Russo's. While they didn't have it, the grocer took my name and number, called his distributor in Italy and thanked me for the tip. That's pretty impressive from a small grocery store in Watertown.

So as you plan your next holiday cocktail party, dinner, or dessert, think Russo's.

-Natasha

1 comment:

  1. You are my food guru. I think you should lead a "Food and the City" tour in Boston and Chicago.

    ReplyDelete